Happy Canada Day!! For this week’s blog post, I thought we would take a look at our great country and my list of 15 fun facts about Canada! Since mittonmusings.com is the “Canadian, lifestyle blog with an inspirational twist”, it seems appropriate! Enjoy!
1. Canada is the second largest country in the world, covered by a total area of 9.98 square kilometers from the Atlantic to the Pacific oceans.
2. We have 10 provinces and 3 territories.
(I remember when we only had two territories…but the next generation would have Nunavut)*groan*
3. Canada has 6 time zones!
I guess this is why it is so expensive to fly from one part of Canada to the other!
4. We have the forth lowest population density in the world. Only 3 people per square kilometer.
Most of our land is covered with forest (or snow). A lot of us live in the cities too. Maybe this is why so many Canadians are introverts like me!
5. Canadians are among the most highly educated people in the world.
We rank first in the number of adults with a tertiary education. Over 51% have attained at least an undergrad from university or college. So smart, ya’ll are…especially since reading my blog! 🙂
6. We have 9% of the world’s renewable water supply at our fingertips!
7. Each Canadian generates approximately 640 kg of waste per year.
Which makes me think….if we spent our Canada day holiday at the beach, did you clean up your picnic or use re-usable dishes? Do your part, people! It’s so hard to be “green” and convienient isn’t it?!
8. The average Canadian consumption of eggs is up from our declining trend — to an average of 190 eggs per year!
See! My teenagers, alone, have contributed to the increase… need those chickens, my friends!!
9. We are one of the most ethically diverse nations, with a large scale immigration program.
10. The most common Canadian last name is “Li”.
Literally, our mission field is arriving to our doorsteps!
11. “eh” is officially listed in the Canadian Oxford dictionary as a valid word.
12. It is against Canadian law to have comics that depict criminal acts.
(Sorry Marvel and DC… I guess no more movies for you, eh?!)
13. There is no official church of Canada, and religion is considered a private matter.
The government allows freedom of religion in Canada as a constitutionally protected right. A fact that I am grateful for! It means I can share my views openly!
14. 65% of Canadians surveyed in 2016 say they believe in God.
It is interesting to note that this belief in God has been steadily been decreasing since 2005, where 81% answered yes to the same question. Currently, Islam is the fastest growing religion in Canada. And it seems like our vast immigration has influenced our religious affiliations. 49% of Canadians say that their religious beliefs are important to them… the question is why? A thought to ponder.
15. Only 8% of all Canadians view evangelism as positive.
We are a spiritual nation, but no longer a Jesus following one. We think that our religious beliefs should be that of a private matter…. not to be shared. Not to influence others. No Bible should dictate the laws and rules of our great nation. I’m sad to see the decline, and continue to muse of how I can do my part to raise awareness about the One who influences my daily life. Oh Canada! May God truly keep us strong and free!
Happy Canada Day, my beloveds!